If you’re unhappy with some aspect of your smile, you may be considering undergoing a cosmetic dentistry procedure to enhance it. Most patients are aware of some of their options to change the way their teeth look, but not all of them. You may even wonder “What is cosmetic dentistry?” If so, you’re not alone. That is a common question that we hear at Dr. M. Shoaib Khan Cosmetic dentistry is any procedure that a patient voluntarily undergoes to enhance the appearance of his or her teeth and smile.
Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures at Dr. M. Shoaib Khan Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry
If you are interested in a cosmetic enhancement, your dentist may recommend one of the following procedures:
- Composite Fillings: Many patients find traditional metal fillings unattractive and feel they drawn too much attention to their mouth. Composite fillings perform the same function in preserving a decayed tooth without making the filling obvious. The materials in composite fillings blend into your natural tooth color much better than metal does.
- Dental Implants: If you prefer a permanent solution to missing teeth, dental implants make a great option. Your dentist installs small titanium rods into your jaw line and then attaches the replacement teeth once your mouth has had an adequate chance to heal.
- Porcelain Crowns: Also called caps, dental crowns made of porcelain cover the entire surface area of a tooth when too much decay is present for a simple filling. A crown is also appropriate for cracked or chipped teeth or to preserve a tooth after a root canal.
- Porcelain Dental Bridge: Your dentist adheres a dental bridge to the teeth on the left and right of the teeth that are missing. These anchor teeth provide the support to hold the bridge and your new replacement tooth or teeth in place.
- Porcelain Veneers: This procedure is ideal for concealing minor dental flaws, which may include stained, cracked, chipped, slightly decayed, or misshapen teeth. The porcelain veneer is an extremely thin piece of ceramic that fits over the front of your tooth. Your dentist may need to remove less than a millimeter of tooth enamel for it to fit on the tooth properly.
- Teeth Whitening: Your teeth can become permanently stained due to smoking, drinking coffee or carbonated beverages, eating certain foods, and taking certain medications. Professional teeth whitening helps to brighten the shade by several times so you can feel proud of your bright smile.
Contact Dr. M. Shoaib Khan to Request a Consultation or Appointment
We have just presented you with a lot of information, but it’s only brief details about each procedure. Please call or email our office today to schedule an appointment to learn more about the cosmetic dentistry enhancement that interests you.